Blog for hpHosts, and whatever else I feel like writing about ....

Tuesday 24 February 2009

Javeline Spins an Identity Theft Survey

Kevin Poulsen at Wired Debunked Javeline's Identity Theft Report already, but I can't help myself from lending an outraged voice to the matter.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen such a blatant spinning of the facts to meet the desires of a research sponsor. Read this statement from Javelin's report, which was funded by Wells Fargo and Intersections, Inc., an online identity protection company:

"Despite the hefty blame - largely perpetuated by the media - placed on the Internet and cyber-crime, online identity theft methods (phishing, hacking and malware) only accounted for 11% of fraud cases in 2008."

How did they reach that absolutely amazing and so absolutely inaccurate statement?


http://garwarner.blogspot.com/2009/02/javeline-spins-identity-theft-survey.html

No comments: