Blog for hpHosts, and whatever else I feel like writing about ....

Saturday 17 October 2009

Rogue bloggers and vendors caught with their pants down

I've just noticed this latest episode, publicized by S!Ri. We all knew it was happening, but now thanks to S!Ri, we have the proof we needed. Makes me glad I stuck to my guns about keeping the likes of Loaris, included in hpHosts (as if we didn't already have enough evidence against them - now they've provided us with even more!).

Some blog webmasters are regularly using the screenshots I made on their blog post. They just take the pictures, wrote a text about the rogue dangerousness and link to a "Free Scan", "Free Removal" tool (which is NOT free). Without analyzing the rogue itself.

Those blogs are cleaners affiliates. If the downloaded cleaner they link to is installed and registered, they get a retribution. They don't care if the tool can remove or not the infection. They don't analyze the infection. They just make a maximum traffic and try to be ranked on google first page.
Some others blogs webmasters are promoting PUP softwares. Here again, PUP softwares creators don't analyze files. They try to sell their tools with a good google rank.

So I decided to MAKE a picture of a new rogue that does NOT exist: Secure Shield. I post the picture and wait for the "serious" guys.

10 minutes after my blog and my digg post, Loaris posts a modified picture of mine (his digg). Loaris Trojan Remover was classified once as rogue.


Read more
http://siri-urz.blogspot.com/2009/10/secure-shield-fake-rogue.html

Feel free to point and laugh, at the rogue bloggers and vendors involved;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%28%22Secure+Shield%22+rogue%29&btnG=Search&hl=en&sa=2

Hat tip to Remixed for the heads up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ain't it time to put the PCTools crap onto the rogueware list finally ?