Blog for hpHosts, and whatever else I feel like writing about ....

Sunday 29 March 2009

Rogue company, CyberDefender, uses MBAM to clean infections

I've just found out about this and must say, it doesn't surprise me in the least.

I've written previously about CyberDefender, and looking at what this guy went through after falling for their scam to the tune of $249.99 (approx £150), they've not changed one bit - they're still rogue.

The actual Cyber Defender software was never activated until after the trojan was removed....the tech did not use the CD product at all, watching the remote fix taking place, he used MalwareBytes, Trojan Remover, and Super Anti-Spyware, as well as other packages, installing them and then uninstalling them as he went. Makes me wonder if Cyber-Defender actually had any capabilities with this trojan at all....


http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=678333#post678333

Hat tip to Tom for the heads up

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hhmmm, I have had the paid version of Cyberdefender about a year now, and I have had the opposite experience - I mean that mine was positive. I am now a computer nerd, but I do know that Cyberdefender has stopped 2 viruses from infecting my system (Antivirus 2009 was one of them). I did have a problem when I installed some software from Adobe in my system, and it created a problem where Cyberdefender kept saying that one of the Adobe files was bad, and I call cyberdefender 24/7 help line, and after an hour they had it all fixed and my system and Adobe have been running great since then. So, I am happy with Cyberdefender and its help desk. JMHO.

lileskimo77 said...

go ducks!!! with that aside, I have been a cyberdefender customer since May 09. At first they seemed to fix all my problems, trojans, viruses,and spyware all thwarted. I would still get an occasional trojan and antimalware would catch it. It still was a problem and don’t understood why i was getting trojans. so i would try to trace it by right clicking, then on properties, to find what the root program file. It would follow it back to a “cyberdefender program file”, and believed the trojan was mimickimg the anti-virus to allow access to root files to disrupt the system. I have switched using anti-malware to protect my system, and have been using avast to scan for issues. Twice it has caught 3 or so trojans and the root has led to cyberdefender all 3 times. I don’t know if it is coming from them or not… I told them at the support office and i feel they blew me off, alright i don’t know alot about computers, but i manage. Has anybody had a similuler expierence. There is more to the story, I would like to relate. 12/6/09